Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Just a Thought about Problems

Last week, during vacation from school, I had surgery on my foot and my dog died. Earlier this winter, we lost electricity for three days which caused our basement to flood because the sump pump wasn't working, resulting in significant damage. Last summer, I was in a car accident that gave me whiplash that I am just getting over now. In the past few years I have been in a position where I have been responsible for making health care decisions for several family members who were incapacitated. And then I sat with them while they died and subsequently made the funeral arrangements. THESE ARE PROBLEMS!

When students come through my door and I have math tasks for them to perform, why in the world do I refer to them as problems? They are tasks and challenges, but really not problems. Believe me, a number of my students have real problems of their own and don't need any more. I am trying to teach my students sound practices for approaching math and I want them to feel empowered rather than burdened by it. So every now and then I choose words other than "problems" in math. I hope students can view math with a welcoming attitude rather than misery.

6 comments:

Jeremy said...

You are certainly correct. The word "problem" carries with it a negative connotation. Do we want students to subconsciously associate math with negative events? Math task, math challenge, or math calculation are definitely more positive when you really think about it.

mhb said...

Thanks for your comment, Jeremy.

It just occured to me that the word "problem" is only used in math. You never hear an English or Social Studies teacher say "Work on these problems. Unfortunately, old habits die hard and the p-word still creeps into my daily lessons.

I like the term math calculation--I hadn't thought of that.I have a colleague who tells the students about their "math mission for the day." I like that too.

Marsha

Shannon Jones said...

I would have to agree with your idea. I have never thought of it in this way but once you stop and realize what you are saying and teaching your students, this makes since. Math should be fun for students, not another problem in their busy crazy lives.

mhb said...

"Math should be fun for students, not another problem in their busy crazy lives."

I totally agree and this observation is well-stated! I am certainly considering how my words affect student attitudes.

Thanks for your thoughts, Shannon.

Marsha

Shannon Jones said...

Glad I could help Marsha. After reading this blog, I went back to school and had a discussion with my students about this very thought. They all just stared at me at first, then I explained to them the difference in a problem and a task or challenge. They agreed that they would much rather have to complete a task then to deal with a problem. It was a lot of fun talking to 6 and 7 years old about this. So I have already changed the lingo that I use in the classroom and will continue to.

mhb said...

Wow Shannon! I think the age level you work with is certainly the place to start. By the time students get to middle school, math is already a problem for some of them. Like I said earlier, old habits die hard for me, but I am watching my language in this area and saying the p-word less and less. I think it has had a subtle effect. Changing my language serves to help shape student attitudes.

Marsha