Thursday, April 2, 2009

Overcoming Student Temperaments and Moods in Math Class

Today I observed once again that student moods, outlooks, and temperaments directly influence how much learning takes place in my math groups and also how I teach. For the first three periods today, I introduced the concept of slope to my seventh grade groups. Some were easeier to teach than others because of student responses based on their moods and temperaments, and my role and responses had to be adjusted to meet the needs of each group. Let me explain what I mean.

After I had introduced the concept with some practice examples and discussion of slope in real life, I announced that I would like to know the slope of the back stairs located not far from my classroom door. So we grabbed our measuring sticks and went off to measure the rise and run. We came back to the classroom and used calculators to divide and come to a value for the slope of the stairs. Then I addressed my group again. I said, "We measured the rise and run in centimeters, so what would happen to the slope if we measured it in inches instead?"

Notice that the response to my question was different each period.
The first period response was,(with a moan) "Oh, do we have to do that?"
The second period response was, "Let's do it!" Whereupon they jumped up and grabbed up the measuring sticks and headed for the stairs.
The third period response was, "Well, centimeters are smaller than inches, so I think the slope in centimeters will be smaller than the slope in inches."



Now to my way of thinking, the responses during the second and third periods were much more encouraging than the first period response. But each response was indicative of the moods and temperaments of my students. And if there's one thing I have noticed over the years, it is that I cannot control other people's moods and responses; I can only control my own. However, I do acknowledge that my own outlook and responses can influence those of my students--at least most days.

For example, the mood in my first period group was one of stress and apprehension. One of the students had shared that she had done something the previous day that she would probably get in trouble for today. She said that it was just a matter of time until she was called to the office with another student to face the music. (Shortly after we measured the stairs in inches, her prediction came true and she later returned in tears.) The first period students struggle with sluggishness and low motivation as well as considerable disorganization at home. I'm trying not to exaggerate here, but whenever I see them interested in anything academic, it is a momentous occasion. Today they needed some excitement and positive outlook for this project, so I shared mine. I remained positive, but firm in my desire for the group to perform this task, and they did just fine, discovering that the slope does not change just because we used different units to measure.

My second period group can be slightly A.D.D.-ish. (By that adjective I mean that they might have a touch of Attention Defecit Disorder.) Quite frankly, after the first period response, I was thrilled with this one! We went with enthusiasm to re-measure the stairs. What I wish I had done was to slow them down a bit and ask them again to make a prediction or at least think about and discuss the process more. Anyway, this group too, was able to realize that the slope was the same either way and seemed to understand what I said about slope being a ratio.

Then came the wondrous third period group. They analyzed the situation and used prior knowledge to make a prediction. They took the risk and said what they thought. Then they went to perform the project, thoughtfully and enthusiastically. My role became to guide them through the educational experience. When they returned, they didn't mind that their original premise had been wrong. They saw the relationship between the size of the units of measures and the number it took to measure the distance given. They also were able to analyze why the slope remained the same--because the lengths of the rise and run of the stairs had not changed, only the size of the unit of measure. The analysis and discussion in this group was very rewarding for me.

All three groups learned the concepts I was trying to teach them today, but they certainly did it with diferent outlooks and approaches. Each group needed me to be in a different role. The first group needed me to be positive, yet calm. They needed some curiosity and enthusiasm, so had to borrow some of mine. The second group also needed me to be calm, but also needed me to push them to more thoughtfulness. The third group needed me to facillitate the activity by asking questions, but then step back and let them wrestle with the answers. And all three groups indicated they felt they understood the concept of slope and beamed when I said, " You've done some good work today. Good job!"

No comments: