Thursday, November 20, 2008

God Bless Didi Romero!

A couple of years ago I purchased some of Didi Romero's materials on e-bay. Her user name there is koipondgirl. She seems to have a similar philosophy to mathematics education as I do. She has taught math to students at the elementary, middle and high school levels, both challenged and gifted.

In the forward of her booklet, Math...It's All in the Way you Play the Game, she writes, "It is my belief that if you make learning fun, students at all levels, regardless of age or ability, will be more willing to take the plunge and learn!" I couldn't agree more! But I also acknowledge that it is hard to make every minute of my lesson plans fun. Some things just require hard work and sticking with it until an understanding comes.

Lately, I have been looking over the materials I have from Didi Romero. We are gearing up to play Exponent Wars and Zero Out. In the past my students have enjoyed Wonder Words (which combines both language arts and math skills) Fishing for Fractions and Captured to name a few. If there is one thing that I have taken away from her work, it is the realization that I can also make up games to enhance the skills I am teaching.

I have never met Didi Romero, but her material is currently making my life easier and my students' learning more fun. So God bless Didi Romero--she has made a valued contribution to the mathematics education in my classroom.

2 comments:

cposten said...

I happen to teach with the same Didi Romero that you refer to and she IS a great teacher! :) Cindy

Linda said...

I have just started to use Didi's material and I am looking for the Stem and Leaf Logic recording sheet. It wasn't included in the packet she sent me and I do not have an email to get in touch with her. Does anyone have the sheet I'm looking for that could send it to me?