Monday, November 17, 2008

Integer Challenge

I am presently reviewing computation of negative and positive integers with my eighth grade groups, so I made up a game.
I use a double dice (one inside another) to get a target number by multiplying. (I can call it negative or positive with advice from the group, but usually we alternate.) We then roll two operations dice to determine what operations will be allowed. I made a deck of cards that list single digit integers between -9 and 9. (Zero is not included.) Once we have the target number, we draw cards one at a time. The object is to be the first player to lay down some cards and tell how they can use those numbers and the designated operations to arrive at the target number. They get a point for the round and then play starts again. Students try to win the game by having the most points.

No comments: