Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Math Dictionary: Terrific Website

My husband told me about a fabulous website. It is www.amathsdictionaryforkids.com (Sorry, I haven't figured out how to post it as a link here yet.) I immediately went to the library and have scheduled a day for my students to use the computers. I made a worksheet that instructs them to go to this site and then use the site to answer the questions. This site is an online interactive math dictionary. My description sounds boring, but please check it out--it's great. My purpose in wanting my students to be familliar with it, is to provide them with a tool for finding math definitions and information.

The questions I am asking them to answer are:

1. In the number sentence 6 / 3 =2, which number is the dividend?
2. If you have two gross of pencils, how many do you have?
3. How many square meters are in a hectare?
4. What is a vinculum?
5. What is an algorithm?
6. Why are 31 and 36 relative primes?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marsha, I came across the amathsdictionaryforkids.com website and I love it! It's easy to navigate. I think it's a great tool for elementary and secondary students. I like how it provides links to other math resources. For instance, if you search for quadratic equations, it provides a link to purplemath.com. I was completing an assignment for my Masters Program and added this website as a math resource on my groups wiki page. I think it's great that you created a worksheet to help your students become familiar with the website. It's important to expose students to the variety of good math resources available. Like you, I'm also 7th and 8th grade math teacher.

mhb said...

Hi Diana!
The kids thought it was a pretty good site, too. After they answered my questions on the worksheet, they were free to spend a few minutes exploring the site. a number of them bookmarked it, so I'm feeling good that they have access to one more math resource. It was interesting that they looked up words they already knew to see how the definition fit what they had learned.