Wednesday, May 20, 2009

From Cookies to Mushrooms

Today I will see how much my RTI students remember about the fractions skills I went over on Monday. I made a handout with one of my favorite snack recipes (that I got from my mother-in-law). Then I ask students to answer some questions. Here it is:

If you like mushrooms, try this recipe sometime.


Hot Mushroom Sandwiches

2 4-ounce cans mushrooms
1 T onion, finely chopped
2 T mayonnaise
5 slices rye or wheat bread
grated Parmesan cheese


Drain and chop the mushrooms. Add the onions and mayonnaise and stir. Spread evenly on the bread slices. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Broil until lightly browned. Serve hot. Makes 5 sandwiches.


If two people share this recipe, how many sandwiches will each one get?

Express your answer as an improper fraction:

Express you answer as a mixed number:

Write a complete sentence that best answers this question:



Because five sandwiches are being shared or divided by two people, the improper fraction is 5/2. As a mixed number, that would be 2 1/2 sandwiches.

After doing the drill and this activity, we will review reducing fractions by playing NASCO's Fraction Simplification Bingo.

No comments: