Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Target 200


Target 200 is a game that I have used in my math classes for so many years that I forgot where I first learned about it. It is great for computation skills and for getting students to strategize.

Students play with a partner, although a third player can be added if necessary. Students use individual white boards or scrap paper to keep track of their score. Players decide who will roll first by rolling two dice. Whoever gets the highest number goes first.

On the first turn, the player rolls the two dice. They can add, subtract, multiply or divide the two numbers that they get. Then they write their answer on the white board. For example, if they roll a 6 and a 3, they could write 18(product), 9 (sum), 3 (difference) or 2 (quotient). I would probably take 18. Then the second player rolls the dice and uses the two numbers to get a number they write down.

On the next turn, the player rolls the dice and again adds, subtracts, multiplies or divides the numbers. They then take this answer and may add, subtact, multiply or divide with the number they have on the white board. So if I rolled a 5 and a 2 on my second roll, I would take 10 (the product) and multiply the 18 on my board by it giving me a total of 180.

The game continues like this with players taking turns. The winner is the first person to reach exactly 200.

Often, both players will be close to 200, but will go over and under it several times until one gets the exact amount needed. Seldom, but sometimes, a person can make 200 in just two rolls by 10 x 20 or 8 x 25. It is all a matter of luck.

We have come up with a number of variations to this game. You can use a negative number die (although a red die can be designated as a negative number die) and play Target -200. Or use two 1 to 10 dice to play Target 2000. My husband came home from school today (where he teaches the same students I taught last year) and said that he had them play Target 199!

Students enjoy playing this game from time to time and it helps keep their computation skills sharp!

No comments: